Funding Opportunities

There are a variety of funding opportunities available for enrolled Master of Urban Planning students. Please see below to learn of the opportunities. If you are a prospective student, please click here to learn about options available to you.

Research Assistantships + Teaching Assistantships

Research assistant (RA) or hourly positions may become available to enrolled students during the course of the academic year, depending on faculty projects and available grant support. These positions typically go to second year students, although may go to first year students if there is a good match in skills and interests.

Similarly, teaching assistant (TA) opportunities are available to MUP students if the student has the required skills and if a position is open. Typically, PhD students in the Department have priority to teach, but MUP students may become a TA if a PhD student cannot be identified. In this event, most often, but not always, TA’s go to second year students.

Available positions in the Department are advertised to currently enrolled students via the weekly MUP email digest. Also, some RA’s and TA’s are directly coordinated between the faculty member and student, with the Department’s approval.

Lastly, MUP students can apply for RA’s and TA’s in other departments on campus.

Internships + Part-Time Employment

Many of our MUP students work part-time in planning-related jobs or internships to supplement their income. Internship and job announcements are routinely announced to MUP students via a weekly email listserv. Opportunities are also posted on the Department’s LinkedIn page. The Department recommends that students do not exceed working 20 hours a week. Most first year students find that they have room in their schedule to work part-time starting in spring quarter of their first year and beyond.

UW Graduate School Funding

Admitted applicants and currently enrolled students are encouraged to view the Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS) funding resource page.

On this page, you will find a link to the GFIS Funding Resources Guide and the GFIS funding blog, through which some of our MUP students have had success applying for and receiving funding for opportunities listed here. Anyone can subscribe to receive emails, and you will receive a message when a new post has been added to the site.

Please also see the GFIS Resources Handout.


All enrolled MUP students can apply for Departmental scholarships for their second year in the program. These are one-time awards that are usually applied to the recipients’ tuition accounts in autumn quarter of their second year. Scholarships can vary each year, but typically range from $1,000 – $9,000. The scholarships help cover living expenses and sometimes cover tuition. In recent years, about half of the students who applied for scholarships received one.

The scholarship process is announced in February of each year, and recipients are notified in April.

Federal Financial Aid

Many MUP students rely on loans to finance their education. All U.S. applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a FAFSA for federal financial aid. For further information about the FAFSA, please see

For further information about UW financial aid, please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid website.


The estimated cost for one year tuition and fees for full-time enrollment during the academic year 2018-2019, assuming enrollment during Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters:

Resident tuition and fees: $17,514
Nonresident tuition and fees: $30,345

A complete list of tuition rates, student fees and a per-credit-hour breakdown of tuition rates is available at the University of Washington’s Office of Planning and Budgeting website.

MUP students pay the Urban Design and Planning tuition.